An international bestseller which has sold over a million copies in the UK, Dreams From My Father is a refreshing, revealing portrait of a young man asking big questions about identity and belonging. The son of a black African father and a white American mother, President Obama recounts an emotional odyssey, retracing the migration of his mother's family from Kansas to Hawaii, then to his childhood home in Indonesia. Finally he travels to Kenya, where he confronts the bitter truth of his father's life and at last reconciles his divided inheritance.
Barack Obama's success in becoming President of the United States meant that he dramatically changed the face that his country presented to the world. In this bestselling book, Barack Obama discusses the importance of empathy in politics, his hopes for a different America with different policies, and how the ideals of its democracy can be renewed. With intimacy and self-deprecating humour, Obama describes his experiences as a politician and balancing his family life with his public vocation. His search for consensus and his respect for the democratic process inform every sentence. A senator and a lawyer, a professor and a father, a Christian and a sceptic, Barack Obama has written a book of transforming power that will inspire people the world over.
Ce livre réunit les sept plus grands discours de Barack Obama, le nouveau président
- Le discours inaugural, prononcé le 20 janvier 2009, devant le Capitole, après la prestation
- L'audace d'espérer, discours de Boston, pendant la Convention démocrate de 2004, qui a
révélé Barack Obama, sénateur de l'Illinois, encore totalement inconnu de la plupart des
- Une union plus parfaite, le discours, de Philadelphie, en mars 2008 sur la question raciale
- Un monde qui se présente uni, le discours de Berlin, le 24 juillet 2008
- La promesse de l'Amérique, le discours de Denver, après avoir reçu l'investiture du parti
démocrate, le 28 août 2008
- Le discours de la nuit de la victoire, prononcé à Chicago, le 4 novembre 2008
- Le redressement américain, le discours de Fairfax, le 8 janvier 2009, dessinant les grandes
lignes du plan de relance contre la crise économique.
Ces sept discours sont présentés par Alain Chardonnens, professeur à l'université de
Fribourg, spécialiste des États-Unis et de la culture américaine.
The election of Barack Obama as President of the United States was a defining moment in American history. After years of failed policies, Barack Obama was given the chance to reclaim the American dream. He proved himself to be a new kind of leader - one who could bring people together, be honest about the challenges we all face and move his nation forward. Change We Can Believe In outlines his vision for America and its standing in the world.